At Ergometrics, our ultimate goal is to develop tests that identify individuals who have the potential to become great in their jobs. For each test, significant time and effort is spent studying a specific occupation to understand both job demands and needed characteristics. In addition to linking our tests directly to job demands (content validation), we also ensure test scores link to actual job performance (criterion validation).
Content validation is demonstrated by job analysis and the relationship between test content and job demands. Subject matter expert information is the foundation of content validity. Our methodology includes:
- Clearly defining important, differentiating performance indicators.
- Designing test items that capture differences in performance.
- Conducting extensive job analyses with panels and written surveys.
- Linking test items and responses choices to important job elements.
- Creating work sample simulation tests that accurately portray stressors, problems, and situations encountered on the job.
To establish criterion validation, we research the linkage between test scores and job performance. Ergometrics' simulations consistently show strong correlations with overall job performance and performance dimensions. A direct statistical relationship between higher test scores and higher job performance provides strong evidence for test validity.
Ergometrics’ tests are professionally validated with content and criterion validation evidence supporting the use of our tests for employment screening, including our newest product: FrontLine National. FrontLine National is a heavily researched and professionally validated law enforcement screening test. Hundreds of hours were spent with subject matter experts establishing content validity and producing a high quality, job related simulation test. Criterion validity established through a pilot study with FrontLine National is very robust. Through pilot testing with law enforcement incumbents, our development team found that FrontLine National test scores:
- Are significantly related to overall supervisory ratings of job performance (r = .35).
- Are significantly related to key dimensions of performance (average r = .34).
Ergometrics can provide detailed technical validation reports for any product upon request. We encourage organizations to review this information and compare it to other tests.